Monday, February 6, 2012

Function of Language

Hye all..On the 6th February 2012, we were asked to do our first tutorial (a part of our assignment too). It is about to role play a dialogue. we were asked to include at least 5 language functions in our dialogue. my group members(Beremas, edward,nickelson and me) have decided to choose a dialogue based on a social setting.

Below is our text:
Setting : Imperial Shopping Mall

Nickelson

: Hey, Priscilla. (to greet) Let us go to Guardian. (to suggest) I want to buy a bottle of hair shampoo there. (to explain)

Priscilla

: Sure I will go with you. (to agree) I would like to have a look at some facial products.

Priscilla & Nickelson are walking around Guardian.

Priscilla

: What type of hair shampoo do you want to buy? (to ask)

Nickelson

: I used PANTEEN before. But, I still have hair fall problems. My hair becomes thinner from day to day. (to complain)

Priscilla

: I suggest that you use another type of shampoo which is more suitable for your hair. (to suggest)

A few moments later, two promoters are approaching them.

Edward

: Welcome to Guardian. (to greet) May I help you, Sir? (to ask)

Nickelson

: I want to buy a bottle of shampoo which can help me to control my hair loss. I used PANTEEN hair fall control before, but I feel it is not effective. (to complain)

Edward

: I think that you should try CLEAR hair shampoo to strengthen the roots of your hair. A lot of customers prefer this product, Sir. (to recommend)

Beremas

: Excuse me. (to interrupt) I would like to introduce to you a new product from LOREAL brand. I’m sure that this hair shampoo will help you to restore your hair condition. It will make your hair look smooth and silky. (to explain)

Priscilla

: Can both of you let him think and choose by himself? Which one do you prefer, Nick? (to ask)

Nickelson

: Hmm… (Thinking) Do you have other types of hair shampoo which are more affordable since the product that you introduced to me just now is quite expensive? (to ask)

Edward

: You can use SUNSILK Hair Fall Control. If you buy this hair shampoo, you will get a free hair conditioner. The price is only RM 6.60. I am using this product too. Look at my hair. It looks spiky and easy to manage. (to support) What do you think, Berry? (to ask opinion)

Beremas

: I agree with you, Eduardo. (to agree) Anyway, why don”t you have a try ? (to recommend)

Nickelson

: Okay then. Thanks for your help. (to thank) Let us go, Pris. (to invite)

Edward & Beremas

: You’re welcome. Please come again. (to show pleasure)

Nickelson & Priscilla

: Okay, bye.

my-thinking:

I feel that this task was not so difficult since in the previous semester, we have learned the type of language functions. Based on our group's text, we can see that there were many types of language functions used in the conversation. Learning the types of language functions are very useful. A lot of what we say is for a purpose, such as expressing a wish, apologizing, asking for help and others. In my view, we did our role-play in a very spontaneous way. Thus,everyone enjoyed when Nickelson and edward make some jokes during the role-play. Though there might be minor imperfection, but I feel satisfied. We have done a very good job. However, if we were given a chance to re-do our role play, we will be more serious and try to act like a professional actresses and actors. Thanks also to Mdm Ira, who have chose our group as dialogue winner. It will motivate and encourage us to do better in the next task!Lastly,I feel that, to know the language functions are important as it helps to improve my english as my second language.

enough for today...;)


No comments:

Post a Comment